- 1/2 white or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or other mild-flavored oil
- 2-3 potatoes depending on size
- 1/4-1/2 bunch cilantro with stems and all
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- Salt and pepper
- To serve
- Toasted peanuts or slivered almonds
- In a pot, brown the onion in the oil for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes. Pour the broth or water until the potatoes are covered, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are almost broken up.
- Let them cool a little before blending them. The potato keeps a lot of heat. Meanwhile, chop the cilantro.
- Blend the potatoes until the soup is the consistency you like. Sometimes you have to put more water in the blender because the potato tends to thicken a lot. Then add (still in the blender) the cilantro little by little until it is to your liking, and finally the salt and pepper.
- Once it is served, add the peanuts or almonds.