- 6 Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole sweet onion, peeled and sliced in thick rings
- 1 whole green bell pepper, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound thinly sliced good quality deli roast beef
- ½ lb Provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet, stem side up, and bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Set aside.
- While the mushrooms are baking, heat the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet or a saute pan. Add the onions and bell pepper and cook until the vegetables are soft and the onion is translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and heat for 30 seconds more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Layer 3-4 slices of the roast beef onto each mushroom. Top the roast beef with 2 pieces of Provolone, followed by a generous portion of the onions and bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the mushrooms to the oven and continue to cook at 375 degrees until the cheese is melted 7-10 minutes. Serve immediately.