Serves 2-4, depending on what else is served.
- 3 celery stalks, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup chickpeas (equivalent 14-ounce can), drained/rinsed
- 3 handfuls arugula or shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup toasted pepitas or almonds
- 15 black olives, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small head of broccoli florets, blanched
- 1 medium clove garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- big pinch of ground cumin
- 1/3 cup/80 ml plain yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream, or to taste
- 1 small ripe avocado, sliced
- In a large bowl combine the celery, chickpeas, arugula, pepitas, olives, onion, and broccoli. Set aside. Make the dressing by smashing the garlic into a paste in a mortar and pestle (or alternately, with a knife). Stir in the miso, then add the mirin, and vinegar, and combine until it all comes together. Add the cumin and the yogurt, and stir again before finishing with the heavy cream. Taste, and adjust the dressing if needed.
- Before serving, add half of the dressing to the other ingredients and toss well. Keep adding more dressing until it is to your liking, adding the avocado toward the end so it maintains its structure.