Hard-cooked eggs and fresh spring asparagus make a colorful, flavorful dish for brunch, lunch, or dinner.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 lb. asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. snipped chives
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- In 2-quart saucepan, combine eggs and enough cold water to cover. Heat to boiling on high. Remove from heat. Cover, and let stand 14 minutes. Rinse eggs with cold water until cool, then peel. Eggs may be hard-cooked and refrigerated up to 3 days ahead.
- Meanwhile, cook asparagus: Arrange in even layer in microwave-safe 8- by 8-inch baking dish. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on high 5 minutes. Asparagus may be cooked, cooled, and refrigerated in airtight container up to 2 days.
- From lemon, grate 1/4 teaspoon peel; set aside. Squeeze 1 tablespoon juice into small bowl. To bowl with lemon juice, add oil, vinegar, chives, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; whisk to combine.
- To serve, arrange asparagus on serving platter. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Coarsely grate eggs over asparagus and garnish with reserved lemon peel.