- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound (500 g) chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 16 bacon rashers trimmed of excess fat and halved lengthways (2 1/2 inch x 1-inch).
- 3 cups fresh cubed pineapple
- 1 large red pepper (capsicum) diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper (capsicum) diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion diced into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and cracked pepper to taste
Mix the bbq sauce together with the soy sauce, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, garlic and sesame oil in a large jug or bowl.
Preheat a grill pan (or grill plates on the bbq) over medium-high heat.
Thread the red onion, red pepper (capsicum) piece), pineapple, green pepper, bacon and chicken onto skewers, wrapping the bacon around the chicken as pictured above. Repeat until all of the chicken has been used. Coat skewers evenly with HALF of the marinade (reserve other HALF for basting).
Brush grill pan or grates over with olive oil. Grill the skewers for 5 minutes; brush over 1/4 cup of reserved marinade. Turn skewers over and coat with remaining 1/4 cup of marinade. Grill for a further 4 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and to your liking. Serve immediately.