INGREDIENTSFor the chili:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped poblano pepper (seeds removed)
- 1 16oz can tomato puree
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 clove roughly chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
For the bacon wrapped hot dogs:
- 2 hot dogs
- 2 strips of bacon
For the sandwich assembly:
- 3 sticks Colby Jack cheese
- 2 slices Colby Jack cheese
- 4 slices thick cut bread
INSTRUCTIONSFor the chili:
- Add the ground beef to a medium high pan and cook the beef until it has all browned and there are no leftover pink pieces.
- Add the onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add the peppers and the garlic and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until all the tomato paste has incorporated with the beef mixture.
- Add the tomato puree and stir. Fill half the can up with water and add to the mixture. Bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the cumin, cayenne pepper and garlic powder and simmer for about 10 minutes on low heat.
For the hot dogs:
- Wrap the strips around the hot dog. Use the toothpicks to secure the bacon. Pan fry for about 8 minutes on medium high heat. Make sure to rotate the hot dog every 2 minutes to cook evenly. Set the hot dogs aside.
- Add a slice of cheese to a piece of thick cut bread. Add a bit of chili onto the top of the cheese slice.
- Cut the hot dogs in half and then again length wise. Add the hot dogs flat side down on top of the chili base. Place the cheese sticks in between the hot dogs.
- Add another cheese slice to the other slice of bread and close the sandwich.
- Fry the sandwich on a medium pan for about 4 minutes each side. After flipping the sandwich on both sides, add a bit of water to the pan. Cover it and cook until the bread is crispy and the cheese is fully melted