1 can (16 oz) jumbo lump crab meat
2 Tbsp minced jalapeño
2 scallions, chopped
1⁄2 cup minced red bell pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
1⁄4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1⁄2 tsp salt
3⁄4 cup bread crumbs
Mango-avocado salsa (You can make your own at home using 1 mango, 1 avocado, 1⁄2 finely chopped red onion, the juice of 1 lime, chopped fresh cilantro, and salt and black pepper. Don’t love mangoes? Improvise a healthy tartar by mixing equal parts mayo and plain yogurt with chopped pickles, capers, and fresh lemon juice instead.)
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Gently mix everything but 1⁄2 cup of the bread crumbs. Using your hands, loosely form the crab mixture into 8 patties.
- Spread the remaining bread crumbs on a plate and roll each crab cake over the crumbs to lightly and evenly coat.
- As the cakes are formed, place them on a non-stick baking sheet or in a baking dish coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- If the patties are misshaped, use the palm of your hand to press them down into an evenly shaped disk, the size of a small hockey puck.
- Bake until golden brown on the outside, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with a scoop of mango-avocado salsa.