Each serving contains:
16g total fat
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 pound ziti, mostaccioli, or elbow macaroni
¼ cup all purpose flour
2 cups skim milk, warmed
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
2. Add the green pepper, onion, mushrooms, and marjoram and sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour until blended and cook 1 minute.
3. Gradually stir the milk into the vegetable mixture. Heat to boiling and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the mustard, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil or salt; drain.
5. Add the pasta and cheese and toss to coat.
6. Grease a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and add the pasta mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
7. Bake until the top is browned and the juices bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
8. Serve with a fresh garden salad.