- One 1-pound 11-ounce package pinto beans, picked through and soaked in lots of water overnight (optional)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 quart water
- 1 onion, halved or roughly chopped
- 2 halves smoked ham hock (about 3/4 pound total)
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, plus more to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Add the soaked beans, chicken stock, water, onion, ham hocks, and bay leaves (if using) to a large stock pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover with a lid, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are nice and tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Season with pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Serve.
This recipe used the entire package of beans I purchased and makes a large quantity, but can be scaled for smaller amounts.