- I used about 12 short ribs
- Bacon grease
- 1 med onion
- 1/2 med red, yellow, green pepper
- 1 stalk celery
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 sprig thyme/rosemary
- 5 cloves garlic
- Cajun seasoning
- Salt Pepper
- Red wine
- Carrots (chopped)
- Potatoes (halved or quartered)
- Frozen peas
1. Lightly season short ribs with salt and pepper then dredge in flour
2. In a large heavy pot, heat bacon grease to med-high
3. Cook short ribs in hot oil until brown on all sides, remove from pot, and set aside
4. Add chopped veggies to the pot and cook for a couple of minutes then add in 3 heaping tablespoons of flour. Stir constantly until the flour turns a dark brown color.
(I add a splash of red wine here) cook another minute or two
5.Add the beef broth and water stirring the bottom of the pot to scrape up all of that delicious flavor. Add thyme, rosemary and the short ribs to pot then season to your liking with any spices you choose. I used a cajun seasoning blend.
Stir and cover over med heat for 2 to 2/12 hours.
The liquid will cook down to at least half its volume
6. Remove the lid and add the potatoes carrots and frozen peas. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
Enjoy with or without cooked rice.
We enjoyed ours with some hot sweet ho cakes🙂