or St Stephens Day muffins, Light muffins with a festive spice taste.
- * 2 tbsp irish whiskey, brandy or sherry
- * icing sugar, for dusting
- * 125g christmas pudding
- * 125g plain flour
- * 75g caster sugar
- * 25g butter, melted
- * 1 tsp baking powder
- * 1 tsp mixed spice
- * 75ml milk
- * 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Whisk the egg in a bowl and add the milk, melted butter, sherry, whisky or brandy and the pieces of Christmas pudding.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, mixed spice and sugar together. Make a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients and mix together until a soft lumpy batter forms.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake in the oven. 20-25 minutes for large muffins, 15-20 minutes for cupcake size and 10-15 minutes for mini muffins.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Alternatively pipe a little buttercream on the top.
- Makes 12 large or 24 medium muffins.