Back to Top
- 1 1/2 cups pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated
- 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1 lb bucatini, spaghetti, or linguine pasta
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheeses and about a tablespoon of black pepper. Mash, while adding just enough cold water to form a thick paste. Spread the paste evenly around the bowl.
- Once water has come to a boil, add pasta. Just before it’s perfectly cooked, use tongs to quickly transfer to bowl. Reserve about a cup of the cooking water.
- Stir vigorously to coat the pasta in the cheese, adding a teaspoon or so of olive oil and a bit of the reserved pasta water to thin the paste if needed. The sauce should become creamy and cling to the pasta, but not be watery.
- Serves with additional black pepper and cheese. Enjoy!