- heaping 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup, agave, brown rice syrup, or honey (not vegan)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Instant Espresso Coffee Granules
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or bourbon or whiskey)
- about 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned whole-rolled oats (use certified gluten-free if necessary; quick-cook oats may be substituted – start with 1 cup, and add more as needed)
- sprinkles or cocoa powder for rolling, optional
To the canister of a food processor, add peanut butter, sweetener of choice, cocoa powder, espresso granules, vanilla, 1 cup oats, and blend until mixture comes together.
Add 1/4 cup oats, or as needed, until dough comes together. When dough is the correct consistency, it travels around the base of the canister like a tennis ball. If it’s sticky, tacky, or isn’t clumping together in a ball; or if you’re trying to roll into balls and it’s very difficult to shape, it’s too wet and more oats should be added. Add more until it firms up.
Using a small cookie scoop or your hands, form 1-inch balls (approximately). Roll between your palms until smooth. If dough is very sticky, even after adding additional oats, chill it for about 1 hour before rolling. Repeat until dough is gone.
Optionally dredge balls through sprinkles or cocoa powder.Place balls in a large airtight container in a single, flat layer. I prefer to store balls in the fridge and serve slightly chilled. Balls will keep for at least 6 weeks in the fridge, and can be frozen for up to 6 months.