I love making candy at Christmastime and giving it as gifts. I start getting calls the first of December asking if I’m going to be making all of it again that year. Although it is a bit labor intensive, I make one candy each day so it isn’t as hard to do.
Cook time: 45 Min Prep time: 15 Min Serves: approximately 24-30 balls
1 12 oz. package of good quality milk chocolate chips
1/3 c heavy whipping cream
3 Tbsp amaretto liqueur
3 Tbsp almond paste
finely choppped almonds
1. Place chocolate chips into a glass mixing bowl and put aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine heavy whipping cream, Amaretto, and almond paste. Stir well, making sure to fully blend the almond paste into the mix. Heat to a boil and then remove from heat.
3. Pour hot cream mixture into bowl of chocolate chips. Let sit for 3-5 minutes. Slowly start stirring the chocolate and cream until all of the chocolate is melted and the cream has been thoroughly mixed. It should be smooth.
4. Place plastic wrap over bowl and tuck down the inside to place right on the mixture. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
5. Once solid, scoop out 1 to 2 tsp. of the chocolate and roll into balls. Keep your hands cold if you can to prevent chocolate from melting. When you have finished rolling all of it into balls, wash and dry your hands and roll each ball into the finely chopped almonds. Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to one week.
6. NOTE: I just made these and forgot to get the almond paste at the store. I used almond extract instead and it worked out just fine. Test the flavor after the Amaretto and 1 tsp. of almond extract. Use more extract for more flavor.