- 11 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces
- 3.5 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 3.5 ounces (an bout ½ cup) sugar
- 3.5 ounces (about ½ cup) brown sugar
- 1.75 ounces (about 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon) cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream
- 6 ounces (about 1-1/3 cups) plain flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup minus 1 tablespoon cream
- ½ cup minus 1 tablespoon Baileys Irish Cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
*Preheat oven to 325 degrees F / 163 degrees C / Gas 3 Warm
*Butter an 8” cake pan and line the bottom with parchment.
*Butter the parchment.
*In a large saucepan, combine the butter, chocolate, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder and Baileys.
*Heat on medium, stirring frequently, until the chocolate and butter have melted.
*Beat with a whisk to make sure the mixture is free of lumps.
*Remove from heat and cool for 5 minutes.
*Add the eggs to the chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.
*Fold in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
*The batter won’t be completely smooth, just make sure the flour is incorporated.
*Pour the cake into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
*Bake the cake for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer comes out with a few moist crumbs.
*You want this cake to be a bit gooey, so make sure you don’t over bake the cake.
*Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
TO MAKE THE GANACHE
*Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl.
*In a small saucepan or in the microwave, bring the cream, Baileys and the salt just to the boil.
*Pour over the chocolate and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
*Whisk the mixture to make the ganache.
*Stir in the butter.
*Allow the ganache to come to room temperature and thicken (about 30-40 minutes).
*Spread the thickened ganache on top of the cooled cake.