- 1/4 cup canola oil or other
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour lightly spooned
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or grease well.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil and sugar unitl combined.
Add eggs, applesauce, buttermilk and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and stir just until combined — don’t overmix. Stir in ½-3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (based on your preference!).
Fill muffin cups ¾ full and bake for 14-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with moist crumbs (not batter!). Cool completely and store on the counter for 2 days, in the refrigerator for 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.