1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 small overripe bananas, mashed or pureed
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salted butter
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
6 tbsp. semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9 x 5 inch bread pan with cooking spray.
- Lightly dust the inside of the pan with flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda and whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat softened butter, brown sugar, and cane sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and mashed bananas until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips and mix until combined, being careful not to overmix the batter.
- Pour into the prepared bread pan and bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
Let cool in the pan for about 1 hour before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- combine heavy cream and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the mixture, whisking continuously, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add vanilla extract and butter and whisk until butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips.
- Let sit for 2-3 minutes before whisking until combined.
- Allow the topping to cool completely.
- When ready to serve, place a shallow dish below the cooling rack to catch any excess topping. Drizzle chocolate topping over the banana bread, slice, and serve.