¼ cup shortening
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 large egg, separated
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped pecans
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon cherry juice (from the jar of cherries)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon milk
4 to 6 oz white chocolate and/or milk chocolate
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, or bowl from stand mixer, cream butter, shortening, brown sugar and salt until light and fluffy. This will take 5 to 7 full minutes and the mixture should be pale and creamy in color.
- Next, beat in egg yolk (save the egg white) and vanilla extract just until it is well-combined.
- Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture. Refrigerate cookie dough for 30 minutes. It should be easy to handle. Chilling will ensure that the cookies do not spread during baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F before the cookie dough is done chilling.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Place chopped pecans in a separate shallow bowl.
- Shape dough into 1 and ¼-inch balls. Dip balls in egg white, then roll in pecans. Place cookie dough balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Make a deep indentation in the centre of each cookie with your thumb or a small spoon.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes until edges are light brown. Transfer to wire cooling racks.
- For the filling: In a small bowl, beat powdered sugar, cherry juice, butter and milk until smooth. Fill each cookie (indentation) with ¼ to ½ teaspoon of the cherry filling. Top with a maraschino cherry. You may need to add a little more cherry juice or powdered sugar to reach the right consistency.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, stirring periodically. Drizzle melted chocolate on top of cookies. Let stand until set. (a few hours)