- ½ cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar + 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 loaf Texas toast cut off the crusts, this is NOT necessary but I just think it looks nicer.
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar plus more for sprinkling
- honey or maple syrup for topping
- Put the butter in a microwave safe bowl, melt it in the microwave and add 1 cup of brown sugar. Stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the bottom of 9 x 13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Place toast bread in a single layer in the pan so that it covers the whole area.
- Pour half the egg-milk mixture over the entire layer of toast bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
- Sprinkle half the mixture on a layer of toast bread.
- Then arrange the second layer of toast bread and pour the rest of the mixture of eggs and milk.
- Repeat with the rest of the sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover with aluminum foil and leave to cool in the fridge overnight.
- * You can leave it for a couple of hours in the refrigerator, but the best effect is achieved if you leave it overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Leave chilled toast bread at room temperature for a few minutes.
- Put it in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, so that the first 30 minutes it is baked with aluminum foil.
- Bake it until the top is crispy and golden brown and the inside is soft.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with honey or maple syrup.
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour plus 6 to 24 hours, for marinating