This hearty & comforting Quick Chili Recipe is easy to make with convenient ingredients that add a punch of flavor like salsa and chili seasoning packet. Lean ground beef, kidney beans, beef broth, salsa, and some seasonings are all you need to make this fast chili recipe that cooks on the stove top. Don’t forget the toppings!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can (14.75 oz) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (15 oz each) light red kidney beans drained & rinsed
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 packet chili seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cook ground beef in a large pot, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble until no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Add the beef broth, beans, salsa, seasonings, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, and let simmer for 20 minutes. * If wanted, you can cover it with the lid while simmering to really infuse the flavors. I like to do this as it traps all the heat inside the pot and the chili will simmer nicely. Take off the lid about 5 minutes before it’s done and the chili will thicken up.
- Serve with all your favorite chili toppings. We love sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and Fritos Corn chips.
Salsa : The most important tip for this recipe! For best flavor, use fresh salsa, you can find this in the refrigerated area of the produce section at the grocery store. I use the ‘fresh cravings’ brand that I find at the stores. Chili Seasoning Packet : I use a packet of mild chili seasoning in this recipe. Make It Spicy! : Use a medium or hot salsa. Add chili powder and/or cayenne red pepper in with the other seasonings. Add a can of diced green chilies. Top the chili with sliced jalapeños or shredded Pepper Jack cheese.Tip : For a lower-fat, healthier chili you can use ground turkey instead of ground beef. Be sure and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil when cooking the ground turkey. You don’t need olive oil for ground beef, just ground turkey because the fat content is so low. You don’t want it to stick to the pan.
Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 794mg | Potassium: 1212mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 498IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 6mg