Make this salad for lunch but serve it hot at dinner first. To give kids extra protein at lunch, add 1/2 cup finely chopped cold cooked chicken and round it out with a small whole-wheat roll and an apple.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bag (1 pound) shelled edamame (soybeans), thawed
- 1 bag (1 pound) frozen corn, thawed, or 3 cups fresh-cut corn kernels (from about 4 ears)
- 2 large ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives or basil
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the edamame and corn and cook, turning often, until heated through, about 7 minutes. Stir in the tomato, salt and pepper. Let cool and then chill if packing in a lunch box. When ready to serve, stir in the chives or basil.