Cake Batter Ingredients
- 2 cups buttermilk baking mix (example Bisquick)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 Teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg room temperature, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups pitted and halved sweeten cherries, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Place the sour cream, melted butter and egg in a large size bowl. Beat with an electric mixture until well combined.
Combine the baking mix, white sugar and lemon peel in a medium size bowl. Stir the ingredients together to combine them.
Add the sour cream mixture to the dry ingredients (Bisquick, sugar and lemon zest). Stir the ingredients together until they are moistened. Fold 1/2 cup cherries into the batter.
Sprinkle the remaining cherries and the streusel topping over the batter. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.