Updated Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
30 minutes active; 4 hours inactive to prepare serves 8-10
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) package velveeta, cubed
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bacon bits
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks, until browned. Season generously with salt and pepper and garlic powder.
- Drain fat, then wipe out skillet with a paper towel. Melt butter in skillet, then whisk in flour. Cook roux for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown, then whisk in whole milk. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from heat and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place beef, along with onion, carrot, celery and potatoes in slow cooker and cover with chicken broth. Season with basil and parsley, the cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in refrigerated roux mixture, then add in cubed velveeta. Cover again and cook for another 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and soup is thick and smooth.
- Serve hot, topped with cheese and bacon bits. Enjoy!