- 2 1/2 cups chocolate baking crumbs (340g)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (300g)
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 cups heavy cream 30-35% fat, divided
- 200 grams chopped chocolate 2 100g bars — I use a combo of dark and milk chocolate — about 1 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the crust, stir together chocolate crumbs and butter. Press into a 9″ pie plate and up the sides. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar, eggs, cocoa and 1 cup cream until smooth.
Place saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened (you will know when it’s thick!).
Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl and stir in chocolate, butter and vanilla until smooth.
Set aside or refrigerate until cooled to room temperature — 1-2 hours on the counter or 30-40 minutes in the refrigerator — stirring occasionally.
Whip chocolate mixture on high speed until slightly lightened in color — about 5 minutes.
Whip remaining 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form, and gently fold into chocolate mixture in two batches.
Spread into prepared pie crust and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight, until set. Garnish with additional sweetened whipped cream before serving if desired.