This is a delicious cake that is super soft, enjoy it with a cup of tea or just plain as it is. To start with the dry ingredients, sift the flour into a large mixing bowl then to that add one cup of sugar, baking powder and orange zest then whisk everything so the other ingredients are well incorporated in the flour. To the dry ingredients, add the egg yolks then half a cup of oil, using oil in this cake will ensure the cake stays soft for days even when refrigerated it will still remain soft but you can still substitute the oil with butter.
Finish off by adding orange juice to the ingredients, this is a simple batter and you can use a whisk to bring everything together. The batter will at first be thick but as you continue to beat the batter it will loosen a little. Mix until you get a smooth batter and no lumps are visible then set that aside.
For the egg whites, you will need 8 egg whites in a clean bowl then using a hand whisk, beat the egg whites until it is very light and has tripled in volume then add in half a cup of sugar to make it stiffer then beat it until the egg whites reach a stiff peak. Start adding the egg whites into the cake batter in batches while folding it in with a spatula. At this point, you are not beating the batter any more but just folding everything in and trapping air in the batter which will make this cake extra soft.
If you don’t have a chiffon cake pan, you can use any pan that you have, butter the pan or spray with a non-stick spray then pour the batter in the cake and bake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 55 to 60 minutes. Serve with orange glaze or icing sugar and enjoy.
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar (For making the cake batter)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (from about 2 large oranges)
- 7 large egg yolks (120 grams), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 ml/grams) vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml/grams)freshly squeezed orange juice (2 – 3 large oranges)
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) vanilla extract
- 8 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar (For mixing into the egg whites)