- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar approx. 400g
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream I use 5%
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour about 575g
- 1/4 cup butter room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered icing sugar
- juice of 2 lemons*
- yellow food coloring optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
Add eggs, sour cream, lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until combined.
Add the baking soda, baking powder and flour and beat just until combined. Dough will be the consistency of thick cake batter — it is quite sticky and soft.
Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets (I get 6 on a regular baking sheet — my cookies are large!), trying to make drops as round as possible. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until no longer glistening in the center. Cool completely.
FrostingWith an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add sugar and just enough lemon juice to make a smooth, thick frosting (you can add a teaspoon of milk if it is too thick). Color with yellow food coloring if desired.
When cookies are completely cool, spread with an even layer of frosting and serve.