That sounds delicious, doesn’t it? Although the traditional German chocolate cake recipe does not originally come from Germany but from the United States, the fact remains that this cake is quite exquisite!
Indeed, its coconut and pecan icing adds a touch of originality to the classic chocolate cake that we are used to tasting at parties, celebrations and birthdays of all kinds.
So here’s how to prepare this mouth-watering recipe without further ado:
* INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE CAKE
° 2 cups of granulated sugar
° 1 & 3/4 c allpurpose flour
° 3/4 c un-sweetened powdercocoa
° 1 tsp & 1/2 baking-powder
° 1 teaspoon and 1/2 of baking soda
° 1 teaspoon of salt
° 2 large eggs
° 1 cup of buttermilk
° 1/2 c oil
° 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
° 1 cup of boiling water
COCONUT ICING INGREDIENTS
° 1/2 cup brown sugar
° 1/2 cup granulated sugar
° 1/2 cup butter
° 3 large egg yolks
° 3/4 cup of evaporated milk
° 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
° 1 cup chopped pecans
° 1 c sweetened coconut
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE ICING
° 1/2 cup butter
° 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
° 3 cups of powdered sugar
° 1/3 cup of evaporated milk
° 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
STEPS FOR THE CAKE
1. Preheat the oven to 375 ° F. Grease 2 8 or 9 inch round molds.
2. Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine well. Gradually add boiling water (the mixture will become very runny). Pour into the two molds.
3. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes (depending on molds: 9 inch molds take less time to bake) or until a toothpick comes out of the cake completely clean. Let cool for 5 minutes in the molds then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
STEPS FOR COCONUT ICING
4. In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, egg yolks and evaporated milk. Toss to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Stir constantly for several minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
5. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla, chopped pecans and grated coconut. Let cool completely.
STEPS FOR CHOCOLATE ICING
6. Melt the butter in the microwave, then add the cocoa powder. Then add a little powdered sugar and milk, beating to adjust the consistency. Then add a little milk if the icing is too thick, or a little powdered sugar if it is too runny, until you get the desired consistency. Add the vanilla and mix.
STEPS FOR CAKE ASSEMBLY
7. Place one of the two cakes on the base of a cake bell.
8. Spread a thin layer of chocolate frosting over cake, then using a spoon, spread half of the coconut frosting on top, in an even layer. Leave about 1/2 inch free on the sides of the cake to prevent the icing from dripping when adding the other layers.
9. Placing second caake on top of first. Spread another thin layer of chocolate frosting on top of the cake, but also all around.
10. Spreading remaining coconut frostiing ON top of cake. With the remaining chocolate frosting and using an icing pen, form small rosettes around the cake.
Serve & enjoy !