These German Chocolate Cake Coconut Macaroons are chewy on the inside, crisp on the outside, and packed with chocolate, coconut, and pecans… just like German Chocolate Cake! You’d never know these bite-sized cookies are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, keto, and low carb too!
- 135g (1⅔ cups) Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- ½ cup Chopped Pecans (I toasted mine in the oven at 375°F for ~8 minutes)
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 5 Large Egg Whites
- ⅔ cup Truvia Spoonable
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 20g (¼ cup) Unsweetened Dark Cocoa Powder
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, stir together the coconut, chopped pecans, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
In an electric stand mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment, add the egg whites and Truvia Spoonable. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and beat for 2 more minutes.
Turn the mixer off and add the cocoa powder. Mix on medium speed until completely smooth. Turn the mixer off and fold in the coconut/pecan mixture until the batter is even. It’s totally fine to mix the air out of the fluffed egg whites, in fact, that’s WHAT YOU WANT!
Use a cookie scoop to portion the mixture evenly onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for ~14 minutes, or until the surface is no longer wet and doesn’t stick to your finger (do not overbake!). Let cool on the pan completely. Serve and enjoy!
If you’d like to dip your Macaroons in chocolate and sprinkle with pecans like I did, follow these instructions:
- 4oz Chocolate of choice (I used 75% Cacao Chocolate, but if you wanted a sugar-free version, use No-Sugar-Added Dark Chocolate!)
- ¼ cup Chopped Pecans
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each one, until melted.
- Dip the macaroons halfway into the chocolate, shake off the excess, and place back on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with the chopped pecans, then refrigerate for 20 minutes to firm up the chocolate. Serve and enjoy!