No tricks, just treats for ghosts and ghouls of all ages
1 package devil’s food cake mix with pudding
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. corn syrup
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
Orange food coloring
decorating sugar crystals
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350ºF. Paper-line 24 muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, 3/4 cup water, sour cream, oil, eggs and vanilla, and blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then turn mixer up to medium speed and beat 2 minutes more. The batter should look well combined. Spoon batter into muffin cups, so that each liner is three-quarters full.
- Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes from pans and leave them on the rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make frosting: In top of double boiler, over 1 inch of simmering water, with handheld mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites, sugar, 1/4 cup water, lemon juice, corn syrup and cream of tartar until soft peaks form and temperature reaches 160ºF on candy thermometer, about 7 minutes. Remove top of double boiler from heat; beat 5 to 10 minutes longer, until stiff peaks form. Fold in orange food coloring until evenly distributed.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes and decorate with sugar crystals, jelly beans or other candies, as desired.