Back to Top
- Black gram dal / whole urad dal – 1 – 1/2 cup
- Kidney beans – 1 canned
- Ghee or oil -2 tbsp.
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Dry bay leaves – 1
- Medium onion/ finely chopped-1
- Fresh chopped ginger-1 tsp
- Garlic cloves/ chopped- 4
- Chopped cilantro- 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 2 tsp
- Tomatoes/ finely chopped – 2 medium or 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Cumin/coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Dried fenugreek leaves /Kasoori methi – 1 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- Water- 4 cups
- Cream- 1/4 cup- optional
Instant Pot Instructions
- Wash and rinse the whole urad dal / lentil and keep it aside.
- Turn on the saute function. when hot, add the ghee, bay leaves, cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seed crackles, add ginger, garlic, dried fenugreek leaves and give it a stir.
- Add in the chopped onions
- Saute for a couple of minutes until the onion becomes soft.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, turmeric, red chili powder, and cumin /coriander powder and stir to mix.
- Add the lentils / dal Stir well to mix and then add water .
- Cancel the Saute function on the Instant Pot, and put on the lid.
- Press the Pressure cook function on the Instant Pot which sets it to pressure cook for 35 minutes.
- When done, do a Natural release .
- Open the lid . Add in the canned / cooked kidney beans. Stir the dal well.
- Use a ladle to mush some of the dal and beans, making it creamier.
- If it appears too thick, add some water to get the desired consistency, and turn the saute function until it heats through.
- Add the cream
- Serve it with hot paratha, naan, Jeera Rice or Roti.
Stove top instructions
- Place the dal, beans, water, onion, ginger, garlic, red chilis, salt and turmeric powder in a stove top pressure cooker and cook on medium heat for 3 to 4 whistles 15 – 20 minutes. After the fourth whistle, set the burner to low and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- When the pressure has released, open the lid. Make sure the dal is fully cooked and tender. Add canned rajma and give it a quick stir.
- To make the tempering, heat butter or oil in a large skillet or pan. When the butter has melted or the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds. Once they start to sputter, add the garlic and tomatoes. Saute until the tomatoes are soft and breaking apart.
- Next, add in the red chilli powder, coriander powder, and dried Kastoori methi or dried fenugreek leaves. Saute the mixture until the oil oozes out from the masala or till the tomato becomes mushy.
- Once the tempering is done, pour in the cooked dal from the pressure cooker. Simmer on low heat until the dal is soft and well-blended with the tempering.
- If you forgot to soak the dal/ lentils pressure cook the lentils on high pressure for 45 minutes with natural pressure release.
- Add tomato paste instead of fresh tomatoes
- You can use garam masala instead of dried fenugreek leaves.
- Double the recipe in a 6qt or 8qt Instant pot easily by doubling the ingredients. The time remains the same .