- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, freshly shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 medium jalapeños, seeded and finely diced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- vegetable or canola oil
In a large bowl combine the shredded cheese, cream cheese, jalapenos, cooked bacon, and garlic.
Scoop out about 1 tablespoon of the mixture and form it into a tight ball. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining cheese mixture.
Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and chill for about 20-30 minutes.
Set out three wide and deep plates.
On plate one, whisk together the flour, salt, and pepper.
On plate two, whisk together the eggs and water.
On plate three, whisk together the bread crumbs, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
Dredge each cheese ball into the flour first, then the eggs and water mixture, and finally the bread crumb mixture. Ensure that the cheese ball is well coated after each step. Repeat with remaining cheese balls.
In a large skillet, heat a 1/4 inch of oil over medium heat (should register about 350°F).
Working in batches, fry the cheese balls until golden brown on all sides (about 3 minutes).
Set on a paper towel to soak up excess oil.