Joe Yonan’s Sloppy Vegan Joe
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 small onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups chorizo-spiced seitan or other vegan meat, crumbled or cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 32 large cherry tomatoes, quartered (about 2 baskets)
- 4 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Sea salt
- 4 hamburger buns or soft pitas, warmed
- 4 medium sour pickles, thinly sliced
- Pour the olive oil into a skillet over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the onion and garlic and sauté until they soften. Stir in the red pepper flakes and the seitan, and cook until it’s warmed through. Add the cherry tomatoes and squash and cook until the tomatoes collapse. Taste and add salt as needed. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and continue cooking until the squash is tender but not mushy.
- Pile the mixture onto the bun or in the pocket of the pita, top with the pickle slices, and eat.