Sour taste of lemon tart is particularly special during the hot summer evenings …
- one pastry crust (~ 400g)
- 75 + 125g powdered sugar
- 40g + 20g maizena (corn flour)
- the juice of 2 lemons
- 4 eggs (whites and yolks should be separated)
- 250ml water (or milk)
- Put the pastry crust into a non-sticky tart pan. Cover with aluminum foil or baking sheet then add ceramic weights (or dried beans).
- Bake the pastry crust in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15 min.
- In a saucepan mix 75g sugar , 40g Maizena , 4 egg yolks , lemon juice and water/milk.
- Simmer the filling until becomes thick then let it cool for 10 minutes.
- When the pastry crust is baked, take it out from the oven, let it cool and remove the aluminum foil and ceramic weights . Take out the baked pastry crust and put it on a tray.
- Pour the filling into the pastry crust.
- For the topping, mix the egg whites with 125g powdered sugar and 20g Maizena.
- Garnish the tart with the topping using a spoon or a pastry bag.
- Put the tart again in the oven at 180°C for 15 minutes (until the topping becomes a little brown) or at 50°C for 40 minutes (white remains white, and becomes crispy) . Another option to avoid heating the tart again is to heat the white eggs using bain-marie before being beaten.
- Allow to cool and serve warm or cold. It can be decorated with caramel.