Tangy and sweet, this lime buttercream frosting is perfect for summer! Pair it with chocolate, vanilla, citrus or cinnamon cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- green gel food coloring optional
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Juice two limes and set aside the juice.
- Cream the butter and Crisco on high speed, until smooth. Mix in 3 3/4 cups of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream on low speed, until combined. Mix in the remaining powdered sugar, the lime juice, 2 tablespoons of heavy cream, the vanilla and food coloring. Once incorporated, mix on high speed until creamy and fluffy. Add in 1 more tablespoon of heavy cream if needed.
- Yields enough frosting for 18-24 cupcakes, depending on your piping style, or a three-layer 8-inch cake. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.