Serves: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 200 gram tomato (tinned is fine), peeled and seeded if fresh
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400 gram cooked borlotti beans, (tinned is fine)
- 1 bunch kale, leaves removed from stems and chopped roughly
- Heat oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes.
- Ad the carrot and celery and cook for a further 10 – 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the chilli flakes and fennel seeds then season and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the tomato, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, checking and stirring occasionally.
- Add in the stock and beans and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime boil a pot full of water and add the kale. Cook for 3 minutes, then drain most of the liquid away, reserving about ¼ of a cup.
- Add the cooked kale and its cooking water into the soup and stir. Serve.