Kid-size and super-easy to make, these Halloween cupcakes are the perfect festive treats for the holiday.
- Makes 24
- ACTIVE TIME
- 45 minutes
- TOTAL TIME
- 2 hours 20 minutes
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Orange and black food coloring; orange, black, white, and yellow candies and sugar crystals
- Special Equipment
- Mini muffin pans 13/4×1-inch paper liners
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 mini muffin cups with 1 3/4x 1-inch paper liners. Mix flour, golden brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl. Whisk egg, canned pure pumpkin, vegetable oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract in medium bowl. Add mixture to dry ingredients; stir to fully combine. Spoon batter into paper liners (batter will almost fill liners). Scatter crystallized ginger over, if desired. Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 16 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely on rack. Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl to blend. Beat in powdered sugar.
- Divide frosting among 3 bowls. Tint frosting in first bowl with orange coloring (or combine red and yellow coloring to make orange) and frosting in second bowl with black coloring, keeping frosting in third bowl white. Chill frosting 2 hours or until firm enough to easily spread. Frost cupcakes; decorate using candy and sugar crystals as desired.
Per serving: 163.9 kcal calories, 51.6 % calories from fat, 9.5 g fat, 4.0 g saturated fat, 27.4 mg cholesterol, 18.8 g carbohydrates, 0.4 g dietary fiber, 14.4 g total sugars, 18.4 g net carbohydrates, 1.4 g protein (Analysis includes 2 teaspoons frosting per cupcake.)