Back to Top
- 1 lb. Elbow Macaroni
- 5 Tbsp. Butter unsalted
- ¼ C. Flour
- 1 tsp. Ground mustard
- 2 C. Milk
- 1 ½ C. Half and half
- 4 C. Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
Optional crumb topping:
- ½ C. Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. Butter unsalted and melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the elbow macaroni until al dente, rinse and drain well.
- While the macaroni is cooking, add the butter to a saucepan over medium heat on the stove.
- Once melted, add the flour to the butter, and stir to combine well for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk, half and half, ground mustard as well as salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook, stirring often until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheddar cheese.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the cooked macaroni, and stir to combine well.
- Place the macaroni and cheese in a 9×13 baking dish.
- If desired, mix together the ingredients for the crumb topping, and sprinkle on top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum flour and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes before serving.