Orange Chocolate Chip Ricotta Cookies
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes Servings: 35 cookies
- 2 cups (284g) all-purpose flour (scoop and level to measure)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp orange zest (from 2 large navel oranges)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (241g) whole milk ricotta cheese (I recommend Galbani)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (165g) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups (154g) powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest (about 1/2 navel orange)
In a medium mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt for 20 seconds, set aside.
In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream together sugar, butter and 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp orange zest until combined (scrape bowl as needed throughout mixing process).
Mix in egg then blend in ricotta and vanilla extract. Add in flour mixture and mix until nearly combined then mix in chocolate chips.
Cover bowl and chill 1 – 2 hours until it’s not quite so sticky and a little easier to work with (if needed you can freeze it for a bit).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees during last 20 minutes of dough chilling. (Note, don’t use dark cookie sheets for this recipe or bottoms will burn).
Scoop dough out using a medium cookie scoop or two spoons (so you have just a heaping 1 Tbsp) and drop onto parchment paper or silicone liner lined baking sheet spacing cookies 2-inches apart.
Leave remaining dough chilled. Bake cookies in preheated oven 13 – 14 minutes until almost set.
Let cool on pan several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough (placing dough on a cool baking sheet).
For the glaze, in a small mixing bowl whisk together powdered sugar, orange juice and orange zest. Spoon over cooled cookies.
Let glaze set at room temperature. Store cookies in an airtight container.