Back to Top
- 1 pound penne or shell pasta
- 3/4 pound ground lamb
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese. grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Cook pasta according to packaging directions, then drain, and transfer to a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat, then add the beef, lamb and onion. Cook until the meat is no longer pink and onion is softened and tender. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce and season with cinnamon, cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir together until combined and heated through, then add to pasta and sprinkle with 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir until smooth and paste-like.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a low boil, cooking until sauce has thickened. 1-2 minutes. Whisk eggs together in a medium bowl and pour 1/3 cup béchamel in, whisking until combined.
- Pour egg mixture into the béchamel sauce and whisk together until combined. Lower to a gentle boil, and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour sauce over pasta mixture, and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese. Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake another 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve casserole hot and enjoy!