- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or 1 cup all-purpose, 1 cup whole wheat)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (29 oz.) cans peaches, drained and pat dry
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or whole milk
Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease an 8×8-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger (if using) and salt.
In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar for 2-3 minutes, or until fluffy and lightened in color.
Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated, then stir in vanilla extract.
Beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, alternate between adding flour mixture and buttermilk, stirring until just incorporated.
Pour batter into greased baking dish, then arrange peach slices on top.
Place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until cooked through.
Remove from oven and let cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and vanilla extract, if using, then stir in heavy cream, stirring until smooth.
Pour over cooled cake and let set. Enjoy!