- 250ml lukewarm water
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 1 ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 475g strong white (bread) flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 ½ tsp salt
1. Mix the warm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes until it has started to froth, then stir in the olive oil.
2. Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl. Pour in the yeasty mixture and mix together with your hands until you form a soft dough.
3. Pop the dough onto your work surface and knead with the heal of your hand for 5-10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Do not flour the work surface as this will dry out the dough.
4. Lightly oil a bowl and pop your dough in. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise for an hour.
5. Lightly dust your work surface with flour, then place your dough on it and give it one good punch to let any air out. Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and pop onto a lined tray, cover with a tea towel and leave to prove in a warm place for 15 minutes.
6. Roll out each ball of dough until quite thin. Coat with pizza sauce, grated mozzarella and your choice of toppings. Bake in a hot oven for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden.
notes: balls of dough can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days or frozen until required