- 1 (15.25 oz.) package white cake mix
- 1 (3.5 oz.) cherry jello mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (3.4 oz.) package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (16 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (8 oz.) jar maraschino cherries, halved, juices reserved
Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
In a large bowl or mixer, beat cherry jello mix, vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla extract into white cake mix until just combined, then pour into greased baking dish.
Place baking dish in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Place crushed pineapple, with juices, and halved cherries in a large bowl and sprinkle pudding mix on top.
Fold in frozen whipped topping and 1/4 cup cherry juice until smooth and combined, adding more cherry juice, if desired.
Frost (cooled) cake and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until set.