- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb) chicken, quartered (see cooks’ note, below) and wing tips discarded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 lb boiling potatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 zucchini (1 lb total), quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 2 1/2- to 3-inch lengths
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Garnish: lemon wedges
- a large roasting pan (17 by 12 inches)
- Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 500°F.
- Pat chicken dry, then toss with 1 tablespoon oil, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Arrange chicken, skin sides up, without pieces touching, in roasting pan, leaving a 2-inch border around edges of pan.
- Toss potatoes, zucchini, and onion with remaining tablespoon oil, remaining teaspoon salt, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper in same bowl, then spread in 1 layer around chicken, arranging zucchini skin sides up. Stir together broth and lemon juice and pour into pan around chicken and vegetables.
- Roast, uncovered, until chicken is pale golden and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and preheat broiler. Broil chicken and vegetables 3 inches from heat until chicken is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Serve chicken and vegetables with pan juices.