- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds cippolini onions (about 24 onions), peeled (see this page)
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of coarse salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- 2. Heat the oil in a wide, deep, heavy bottomed, ovenproof pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, just until they begin to turn golden all over, about 5 minutes. Pour in the balsamic vinegar, season the onions with the salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- 3. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake the onions, stirring them periodically to prevent scorching and ensure even cooking, until the vinegar is reduced to a syrupy glaze and the onions are meltingly soft, about 5 minutes. Serve the onions hot.