This sausage and potatoes recipe is a hearty and delicious casserole recipe the whole family is going to enjoy. There are lots of different ways to make a sausage casserole. Delicious ways. Sausage makes any casserole taste even more amazing than it already is and casseroles are always the best kind of comfort food. The best way to enjoy sausage in a casserole recipe is to make sure it’s smoked. How it’s smoked and with what is up to you. The smoke imparts so much depth and additional yumminess to an already unrealistically tasty combination of cheese, meat, and whatever else you use to hold your casserole together.
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced into ¼ inch thick slices
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 lbs red potatoes, peeled, dice into bite-size chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp Slap Ya Mama seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 10.5 oz can cheddar cheese soup
- 10.5 oz can cream of celery soup
- 14.5 oz can beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 3 quart baking dish or 13 x 9 baking dish with non stick spray right before filling.
- Add diced potatoes to large saucepan, cover with water, and boil for 15-20 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pan.
- In a large frying pan, add ⅓ cup of water, smoked sausage and onions. Cook until sausage has browned on both sides. Add more water, if needed.
- Stir minced garlic into sausage and onions and continue cooking for an additional minute. Remove from heat and place on a plate lined with paper towels, set aside.
- Mix soups, broth, all three cheeses and seasonings into potatoes. Stir.
- Add in sausage and onion mixture. Stir until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 40 minutes uncovered. Carefully remove from oven, let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Optional: top with sour cream, green onions, cilantro