Makes 8 Servings:
Each serving contains about:
19g total fat
3 medium onions, chopped
8 ounces lean sweet Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
2 (14 ounce) cans no salt added tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (15 ounce) container skim milk ricotta cheese
1/3 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 egg, beaten
12 ounces no cook lasagna noodles (15 noodles)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded skim milk mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook the onions and sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until the sausage is cooked through and the onions are soft, 7 to 10 minutes, breaking up the sausage into bits with a wooden spoon. Drain the mixture in a colander and wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
2. Return the sausage and onions to the skillet and add the tomato sauce, water, and salt. Heat to simmering over medium-high heat.
3. Combine ricotta, parmigiano-reggiano, basil, and pepper in a large bowl and mix well. Stir in the egg.
4. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce over the bottom of a deep 13 by 9 inch baking dish and cover with 4 noodles, breaking them to fit. Spread one third of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles, sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella, and spread one fourth of the sauce mixture. Repeat twice more. On last layer: layer noodles, remaining sauce, and remaining cheese.
5. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the noodles are cooked and the lasagna is bubbling, about 20 minutes longer. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.