3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups of whole milk
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon table salt
3 tablespoons of beef fat
1. Whisk the eggs and milk in a large bowl until well blended. In another bowl, mix the salt and flour and gradually add them to the egg mixture. Whisk quickly until the flour is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for at least one hour, but no more than three.
2. Collect fat from the roast If you are collecting fat from a fresh roast, the best time to do so is after the roast has been in the oven for an hour, and while the roast is resting. Whisk 1 tablespoon of beef fat into the batter until it is bubbling and smooth. Transfer the batter to a large measuring cup or pitcher.
3. Measure 1/2 teaspoon of beef fat into each cup of a standard muffin pan. Once the roast is out of the oven, set the oven to 450 degrees. Place the pan in the oven to heat for 3 minutes. Quickly remove the pan from the oven, close the door, then distribute the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups so that they are about 2/3 full.
4. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 10 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and pierce each dough with a skewer to release the steam and prevent it from collapsing. Serve immediately.