- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth can sub water, beef, or vegetable broth for added flavor
- 1 leftover ham bone with meat or ham hocks, diced ham or
- 1 lb. cooked sausage
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 package Hurst’s 15 Bean Soup
- Optional: Hot sauce or crushed red pepper to taste
HAM AND BEAN SOUP INSTRUCTIONS:
1 ) After rinsing and draining the beans, sort any unwanted debris and set it aside.
2 ) In a slow cooker, place beans, diced ham, onion, broth, garlic, and chili powder. (you can use ham bone instead of diced ham)
3 ) Cook for 7-8 hours on low (or 4.5-5 on high) or just until beans are tender.
4 ) Once your beans are soft and tender if you used the hambone remove it and chop any meat left on to add it back to the pot.
5 ) Stir in diced tomatoes, Ham Flavor packet, and lemon juice.
6 ) Cook for an additional 30 minutes.