- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups cups cake flour, see directions (no substitutions, I used Swans Down)
- 2 teaspoons cornstach
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- up to 1 1/2 cups sprinkles (reduce to 1 cup if you don’t love sprinkles; I used 1 cup of larger jimmies and 1/2 cup minuscule nonpareils)
To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large bowl and electric hand mixer), cream together the first 5 ingredients (through vanilla) on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, add 1 3/4 cups flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, optional salt, and mix on low speed until just incorporated, about 1 minute; don’t overmix. Dough will be on the sticky and tacky side.
Mix in 1 cup sprinkles, and as desired, add remaining 1/2 cup.