Back to Top
- 2 medium eggplants
- olive oil, as needed
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups marinara sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated and divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Chop the eggplant you removed and set aside.
- Place eggplant halves in a baking pan, flesh side up. Rub each eggplant half with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Toss breadcrumbs with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add chopped eggplant, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until eggplant is tender, 7-9 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the marinara and let cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the basil, 1 cup of the mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan.
- Remove baking dish from oven and heat broiler to high.
- Remove eggplant from baking dish and set aside.
- Pour remaining marinara into baking dish and return eggplant halves to baking dish. Spoon filling into eggplant halves and top with remaining cheese and breadcrumb mixture.
- Boil until cheese has melted and breadcrumbs are brown, 2-4 minutes. Enjoy!